Length, Products and Other Hair Tales

By Linda Mupemo


Embracing my afro
After one month of me working for a certain organisation, one of the ladies asked me, "Linda, are you not going to plait your hair now that you got paid?" 

If I could get a ngwee every time someone asks me this question, I would be a billionaire! Embracing natural hair has nothing to do with me being broke whatsoever. Even if I was broke surely, I could still find a child of God to plait me simple corn rows at a 'church rate.'

 It is a personal choice. I simply love the versatility of natural hair. I can bun it up today and curl it tomorrow, something I cannot do when it is under a weave or in braids. I do braid my hair from time to time. But I prefer wearing it natural.  

And contrary to popular belief, maintaining healthy natural hair actually comes at a cost. Did you know that conditioners and essential oils do not fall from heaven? Did you know that curling creams and edge controls are not free? Let me not get started on sulfate-free shampoos!

Many people, men and women alike, ask me what the secret to my long hair is. Surprise! There is no secret  naisangamo fye lol seriously though, I got the long hair gene from my mother, who also got it from my grand mother. 
My point is, long hair usually runs in ones family.  Christian millenials would call it a generational blessing . 
However, you can still grow your hair even if your family has no history of long hair. Experts say hair has potential to grow by six inches per year. Yup! You read that right. If your hair is not growing, check your hair practices. 

The problem is we leave our hair in the care of stylists who have scanty knowledge about hair care. Most of them do not care about your hairline getting damaged, your hair being exposed to extreme heat or applying harsh chemicals on your scalp, so long you pay them for their "service." Usually, when you try to control them, they claim they know what they are doing. I would rather invest in YouTube tutorials and learn how to take care of my hair than allow a stylist dwarf my dreams of having waist length hair! Yes, that is my hair goal. Wont He do it!!!

With vast information on hair care on the internet, the advent of natural hair blogs and the hype about natural hair products, one might not really know what to settle for. News flash! Not all hair tips will work for you. Not all hair products will magically make your hair become long or thick. You have to study your hair, get to know what works for you and stick to it. Personally, being introduced to Castor Oil was the best thing that ever happened to my hair. Thanks to my friend Zenzo, my hair texture has never been the same again. It has become so thick. Jamaican Castor Oil is highly recommended, although I use the ordinary one myself. I apply on my scalp twice a week. 

Cantu products are bae. The Curling Cream, the Conditioners, how my hair loves them! My hair also loves Creme of Nature sulfate-free shampoo. A bit of Extra Virgin Olive Oil here and there and I am good to go. You can find these products in Lusaka Chemist and other outlets. Oh! Let me not forget water. Moisture! Moisture! Moisture! Always keep your hair moisturised. Dry hair breaks, which in turn impedes on its growth. 

You can put water in a spray bottle, mix with some oils, depending on which ones work for you and spray in your hair. Some sellers sale spray bottles at K 30 or so. Not to worry, I got you covered. You can find Miss Beauty products in various outlets going for as low as K 6. Most of them are packaged in spray bottle-like containers. If you do not use this range of products like me, you can simply discard the contents, thoroughly wash it and fill it with water, tuh duh! Nzelu niweka, thank me later . I am told Shoprite equally has reasonably priced spray bottles.

Suffice to say whatever nutrients   are good for the health of your body are also good for the health of your hair and its growth. So ensure you eat a balanced diet. Munch those proteins . Eat your vegetables. Drink your water and mind your own business lol. Seriously though, staying hydrated keeps your hair follicles hydrated which in turn prevents unwanted breakage. 

Have I talked about handling your hair gently? Be gentle. Finger comb or use big tooth combs to avoid stressing your hair. Protective hair styles are your best friends especially during harsh seasons such as winter and summer. Faux locs and box braids are my go to protective style . The idea is to tuck your hair in so as not to expose it to extreme weather conditions. 

Some materials like cotton absorb moisture. Do invest in satin pillow cases, a satin scarf or bonnet. These help retain moisture and prevent breakage when you lay down to sleep. I get mine from @goddess.chitengebonnets You can check her out on Instagram.

As earlier alluded to, these practices and products might work for my hair while yours might need a different strategy. Granted, the products do enhance hair growth. But let us face it, people still used to have long hair way before this natural hair product era! 

Take care of your hair. Remember, healthy hair grows. Keep it moisturised. When you find products that work for you, stick to them. Happy hair growing ❤❤❤❤


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chipembi Girls Champion Climate Smart Agriculture

Her Future, Her Choice : Strengthening SRHR

Media Exchange Programme Cements China-Africa Relations